Is There Any Reason Why My Back Hurts When I Wake Up?
Waking up with back pain is common. If your back hurts when you wake up, you are not alone. Many people complain of pain in their back or neck after waking up, as it is usually felt in the morning after a night’s sleep. Your back might usually hurt from the stiffness due to long resting periods or decreased blood flow while you sleep. Let’s discuss some common causes:
5 Reasons Your Back Hurts After Waking Up:
Back pain is not a pleasant experience; some people have it more often than others. To reduce the discomfort, you have to identify the cause. Knowing the cause can help you alleviate the pain to some extent. Common reasons you are waking up with back pain are:
- Sleeping Position Your sleeping posture is the usual culprit behind your morning back pain. A poor sleeping posture puts pressure on your spine. As a result, its natural curve flattens, and you feel discomfort. The wrong sleeping position can also cause back strain and joint stress.
- Old Mattress If you have not changed your mattress in a long while, it might be why you are suffering from pain. Old mattresses often get misshapen and can cause back or neck pain. Switching old mattresses for new ones can improve sleep quality. You can ask your doctors for recommendations on the best type of mattress before you get a new one.
- Pregnancy Usually, back pain begins between the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. Pregnant women might experience pain during sleep and when they wake up. However, pregnancy-related back pain resolves after birth. Hence, you should consult your doctor regarding the extent of your pain and its treatment.
- Disc Degeneration The spinal discs between the vertebrae can dry out and break down, developing degenerative disc disease. The deteriorating spinal discs can bring extreme pain and discomfort, which gets worse in the morning. This condition can develop naturally with age, making your back hurt when you wake up.
- Fibromyalgia Muscle pain, tension, and spasms throughout your body can occur due to a condition called fibromyalgia. There is no cure for this condition. It can also cause sleep problems, depression, anxiety, etc. Fibromyalgia also affects your back and can be why it hurts in the morning. Visit your doctor the next time you wonder, ‘Why does my back hurt when I wake up?’
How to Relieve Back Pain:
You can relieve the pain to some extent, if not fully. Some lifestyle or routine changes can help improve your condition. You can try these to relieve lower back pain in the morning:
- Changing your sleeping posture
- Replacing your mattress
- Try morning stretches in your bed
- Get out of the bed slowly and carefully.
The pain can be very uncomfortable. Hence, you should try to identify the cause and treat it accordingly. Does your back hurt after you wake up? Our specialists can help. Visit our clinic or contact Paramount Family Medical Clinic and Med Spa at (281) 372-6892 for any health-related concerns. Request an appointment by clicking here.